- Service updates
- Stations and maps
- Travelling with us
- About us
- News and media
Did you know we run safety and behaviour workshops for school students? To have a safe outing, why not book in a free session for your group. Find out more about the Rail Safety Education Program.
Follow this advice to help ensure your school trip or group travel is a hassle-free experience
Plan in advance
To organise group travel, please complete the form below and submit at least seven business days prior to travel.
Sydney Trains will contact your nominated representative to discuss appropriate travel arrangements and to ensure that your group travels safely, while our trains remain on time.
From 1 August 2016, each child, teacher and carer must have an Opal card or a valid ticket before boarding a train.
Under Opal, when undertaking group travel on public transport, all students are required to use their own Child/Youth Opal card. To understand how to get your Opal card, visit the Opal website.
Please note that School Opal cards can only be used by students to travel on public transport between home and school, Monday to Friday for journeys commencing 6.00am and 7.00pm. School Opal cards cannot have value added to them.
During peak hours services can be very crowded. We recommend that you do not travel between 7.00am to 9.00am and 4.00pm to 6.00pm, Monday to Friday where possible.
- For Olympic Park services change at Lidcombe Station for the Olympic Park Sprint service.
- No carriages or seats can be reserved on normal Sydney Trains services.
Travelling in groups
We recommend that only small groups (up to 20 children and 1 teacher/carer) travel together. Larger groups should not expect to travel together on one train.
- Infants should have a minimum of one teacher/carer per 5 children. Primary and secondary school children should have a minimum of one carer / teacher per 20 children.
- If more than one group is travelling on the same train, ensure groups are spread throughout all carriages.
- Arrive at the station 20 minutes before departure time.
- It is essential that carers/teachers assist station staff with boarding students as quickly as possible onto trains so as to avoid delaying the train.
- Teachers/carers are asked to maximise the number of children per seat on the train.
Please remind students of their responsibilities when travelling with us.
Notify us of a school excursion
Please complete the form below. We will contact you within five business days to discuss appropriate travel arrangements.
All fields marked * are required.