Tickets and fares

To travel on public transport in Sydney and surrounding regions, you will need an Opal card or an Opal single trip ticket.

Evidence of disability

Sydney Trains recognises the Roads and Traffic Authority Mobility Parking Scheme card as evidence of a disability or mobility restriction.

Vision Impaired Person Travel Pass

People who are blind or severely vision-impaired, and live permanently in NSW or the ACT, may be entitled to an interim or permanent Vision Impaired Person Travel Pass. This permit entitles the holder, and in some cases, a carer, to free travel on Sydney Trains services.

To apply for a Vision Impaired Person's (VIP) pass
Call 131 500

Companion Card

If you have a severe and lifelong disability you may be eligible for a Companion Card which allows a carer to travel free with you on Sydney Trains services.

A person with a disability is required to show their Companion Card to obtain free travel for their attendant. A Companion Card holder must also show their card on request to verify their attendant's entitlement. Companion Card entitlements are only available to an attendant when accompanying the person with the disability. An attendant travelling on their own is not entitled to free travel.

The NSW Companion Card is issued by Ageing, Disability and Home Care.

To apply for a NSW Companion Card
Call 1800 893 044

More information

For information about types of tickets and concessions visit